The West Nyack Free Library
has its origins in property deeded to School District No. Seven of the
Town of Clarkstown on November 20, 1886 through a warrantee deed
from Abram A. Demarest and his wife, Ann S. Demarest, for the sum
of seven hundred dollars. Originally a two-room frame structure was
built on the site for the purpose of educating the local children. In
1922 a brick building was added.
The frame structure was razed in 1959 and a group of West Nyack
residents petitioned the school district to use the brick building as a
public library. In 1989 the trustees brought a proposition before the
taxpayers to purchase the building and property in a revenue neutral
manner. On December 13, 1989 it was overwhelmingly passed. Contracts
were signed on November 1, 1990 transferring the building and property
to the West Nyack Free Library.
A renovation and expansion of the building to triple its size was
begun. On October 2, 1994 a rededication ceremony was held for this new
building. This addition and alteration received an honor award for
recognition of architectural excellence by the American Institute of
Architects Westchester/Mid-hudson Chapter. The lower level includes a community room, periodical
room and technical services staff areas.
Of historical note: the library has a beautifully restored desk from the
original schoolhouse. The old school bell, which was also in the original
schoolhouse, was obtained from the school district on
October 1, 1995 and now hangs in the library hall. The bell was
dedicated to Odena Kling, an advisor to the original board.
We also proudly display an original oil painting of The Old Sawmill,
Clarkstown by John William Hill and a Chromatic Wood Sculpture by
Return to the West Nyack Free
Library Home Page